Friday, June 13, 2008

New Beginning!

It’s Friday the 13th and of course I choose that day to come back to blogging. It has literally been MONTHS since I’ve updated. I went through my “quitting” phase. Now I have five minutes (today) to recommit myself to the effort.

I haven’t left Ayurveda and in fact have been continuing to meet with Mary Alice and practice. But I have been notorious for picking up and maintaining the new thing and abandoning the old, or vice versa, in practices. Now I have made an effort for the next 21 days to maintain all the practices I’ve learned, without picking up any new ones. We’ll see how it goes. Right now I’m trying to do the following for the next 21 days:

Rise at 6am
Morning practices like yoga, meditation, tongue scraping, herbs, oil massage, body brushing

Eating largest meal from 12-1pm

Sipping hot water throughout the day

30 minutes of brisk walking in the afternoon

Eating light dinner between 6-7pm

Yoga and meditation and herbs before bed

Bed at 10pm


Even though that’s a lot of practices, there’s much more to living a completely ayurvedic lifestyle. I’m also trying to eat whole, fresh, seasonal foods as much as possible, and stay in a positive state of mind. It’s only day one, (even though I’ve been practicing since November of last year) but this is the first day that I’ve truly implemented all the practices I’ve been given. The eating is going to be the most difficult thing, but the good thing is there’s this wonderful rule in Ayurveda called the 51% rule. That means if you do ANY part of any practice 51% of the time then you’re being successful. That’s not what most of us define as a success rate, but when considered in this manner, we’re all doing a hell of a lot better than we thought we were—and that is the blessing.

Stay tuned for more frequent updates!!

1 comment:

CCR said...

Victoria, I thought of you yesterday b/c Jerin and I got a massage at a place that offers Ayurveda services, so I had to check on your website as soon as I got on the computer! I'm glad to hear you're still at it, and I wish you the best!